Welcome guest, please Login or Register


Taking my driving test in a car with tinted windows


Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-01-09


Im wanting to take my driving test (in the UK) with me own car.

Its a wicked little Mini with tinted windows, anyone know if i can take the test in a car like this?

Are there any restrictions on what sort of car you can take your test in?



Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-08-15


You are able to use your own car when taking your practical driving test.  The DSA (Driving Standards Agency), have set rules which your car must meet if it is to be used for the test. 

I’ve listed the rules below, but you’ll see that nothing is mentioned about tinted windows.  Therefore, as long as the tint on your windows meets the UK legal requirements, ie lets at least 75% of light through the front windscreen and 70% of light through the side windscreens then you’ll be ok to use your car.  Below are the other requirements your car must meet. It’s worth noting that if your mini is a convertable it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to use it.

According to the DSA, your vehicle must:

  * be properly insured and have a valid tax disc
  * be roadworthy and have a current MOT if it needs one
  * have a seatbelt for the examiner
  * have an interior rear-view mirror for the examiner (these are available from most motor stores)
  * have a proper passenger head restraint (not a slip-on type)
  * be a smoke-free environment
  * have 4 wheels
  * be able to reach at least 62mph
  * have a speedometer measuring speed in mph
  * have no warning lights showing - for example, the airbag warning light
  * have L-plates (‘L’ or ‘D’ plates in Wales) on the front and rear
  * have a maximum authorised mass (MAM) of no more than 3,500 kilograms

Some models of vehicle can’t be used for the test. This is because they don’t give the examiner all-round vision. They are generally convertible cars and panel vans.

You can’t use these cars for a driving test:

  * BMW Mini convertible
  * Ford KA convertible
  * Toyota iQ
  * VW Beetle convertible

Other types of convertible car or panel van may also be unsuitable. Check with the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) before booking your test.

I hope this helps!